Thursday, December 4, 2014

St.Catherine Church, Eindhoven NL

One of the things that we do while we are in Europe is to visit churches. The first thing on our list is St. Catherine it is located in the middle of the town. The church is open to the public not only for services but for their exhibits too. You don't have to pay to get in just make take note that they are close on Mondays.



Inside the building you'll see some archaeological artifacts that they found during a excavation in 2002.



They found out through DNA test that this skull belongs to a little boy that lived near the old church.


Children's toys during that time


                                                 



A 13th century french gothic inspired church was built after old church was demolished by Pierre Cuypres a famous dutch architect who designed the Amsterdam Central Station.





 Pete told me that the windows are actually made with individual pieces colored glass that are glued together into a picture. All the windows are built like a puzzle.







The south tower symbolises Maria's purity. While the northern tower symbolises David's power.
The funny thing is that going inside the church scared the crap out of me when I was a kid. I realized that I still have a bit of that creepy feeling whenever I enter a  Catholic church, specifically if I look at those images. Anyway I think it is a touristy thing to do. My husband and I enjoy things like going inside an old church or any building and seeing the artistic details of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let´s see the world together

About Me

My photo
Series of our family's big and small adventures. Compiled virtually to share with our families and friends as well as with people around the globe.